BSc (Hons) Motorsport Engineering - Final Year Top-Up
BSc (Hons) Motorsport Engineering – Final Year Top-Up
Study method: online, part-time, approximately 1 year – flexible learning.
About the Course
Top-Up your Foundation Degree, HND or BTEC to a full BSc (Hons) Motorsport Engineering, online with NMA. You can study just the final year of the BSc (Hons) online, part-time and fit your studies around your job and family.
You even choose your own start date! Improve your motorsport career prospects and become a highly qualified motorsport engineer. Use the latest industry software and even gain practical experience at race weekends with the NMA Race Team.
When you achieve your BSc (Hons) Motorsport Engineering you will have the range of practical and specialist skills sought after by the global motorsport industry.
Physical engine testing and development is imperative to ensure you maintain the winning edge. Race teams spend large budgets and staff resources to find small percentage gains over the competition. To ensure successful validation of simulated models, engine test facilities are utilised creating a plethora of data from flow bench tests to dynamometer combustion analysis. This module allows you to develop higher-level analytical skills required to be competent within the industry. You will have access to large data files allowing you to analyse test results and determine correct development paths.
A race vehicle's handling and stability can be greatly improved by the addition of aerodynamic devices. This module develops your mathematical and analytical skills to enable you to design and develop aero packages for specific race vehicles. You will have the opportunity to design, test and analyse, through computational fluid dynamics, appropriate devices ensuring that you can solve complex industry problems.
The future of motorsport is with hybrid and electric vehicles and the harnessing/regeneration of electric power. This module begins with the fundamentals of hybrid and electric vehicle architecture and regeneration techniques and as you progress through the module you will be able to develop hybrid models through simulation and then analyse the results enabling you to determine appropriate component choices.
As a final module to your programme, you have the chance to show your knowledge and skills through a final year project. This project allows you to choose the content and development path to fully explore a research area that will enhance your future job prospects in your chosen career. The project must include research skills, simulation and software skills gained through the programme so that you fully showcase your analytical skills at Level 6.
Foundation Degree, HND, BTEC or Advanced Modern Apprenticeship or equivalent qualification at Level 5 in one of the following:
- Motorsport Engineering or equivalent
- Motorsport Technology or equivalent
- Automotive Engineering or equivalent
- Another relevant engineering qualification
Applicants not familiar with software packages: Inventor, GT Suite and Star CCM+ may need to study an additional module ‘Research and Development Simulation and Analysis’ from the full BSc (Hons) before commencing the top-up. CPD credits will be awarded for this module
- CV showing current evidence of automotive or motorsport practical engineering experience either working in the industry or as a team volunteer
- HNC in a related area plus a CV showing current evidence of relevant practical experience of automotive and/or motorsport engineering
- HNC students may have to study a bridging course of approximately 90 additional credits with NMA, to achieve the 240 credits for entry to the BSc (Hons) top-up
Entry for mature students
We welcome applications from mature students aged 21+ with previous and current practical industry experience at a senior level.
- Entry is by CV showing current evidence of previous and current practical experience of automotive and/or motorsport engineering at a senior level plus a good standard of maths
- If you would like to discuss equivalent qualifications or experience please contact us or request a call back
Entry for International Students
- NMA recognises equivalent international qualifications and these will be considered on an individual basis
- Applications are welcome from all international students with a good standard of English
- If English is not your first language an IELTS certificate with a score of 6.0 (minimum) or equivalent qualification is required